New St. Paul’s
As innovative visionaries, we are boldly imagining and planning a new hospital and health campus from the ground up. Our comprehensive planning to renew PHC’s residential homes has launched our new beginning in residential care, focused on creating a home and community our residents would want to live in.
New St. Paul’s Planning Reaches Important Milestone
Providence Health Care’s planning for the new St. Paul’s Hospital and integrated health campus achieved a major milestone in the spring of 2018 – the submission to the provincial government of a completed business plan.
The business plan submission summarizes the project’s rationale, vision, scope; clinical, functional and campus redevelopment concept plans; a preliminary cost estimate and schedule. An approval of the business plan will enable important next steps – such as rezoning of the new site and procurement readiness – to be initiated.
The new St. Paul’s redevelopment is planned as a catalyst of change for the health care transformation that is envisioned by the Ministry of Health, creating more integrated models of health care delivery underpinned by PHC’s vision, mission, and values.
Over the past two years, there have been many great ideas coming out of our engagement and consultation with patients, families, neighbourhoods, staff, physicians, community members and groups, and health partners. The input and feedback has helped create solutions and plans that will make the new St. Paul’s one of the finest health, research and teaching institutions in the country.
The new St. Paul’s is envisioned to be a full-service hospital, providing inpatient, outpatient and specialized care services to patients from local communities and throughout B.C.
It will offer acute, emergency and critical care, as well as a diverse range of surgical specialty programs, to treat people when they are the sickest and need specialized care by:
- Prioritizing patient and family-centred care.
- Delivering coordinated and integrated care.
- Prioritizing primary and community care to prevent hospitalization, streamline access to care and enable smoother transitions for patients.
- Focusing on mental health and problematic substance use, indigenous health, healthy aging and frail seniors, and chronic diseases.
- Providing state-of-the-art technology & healing design to support patient focused care, operational efficiencies and savings, infection control and safety, patient privacy and better patient health outcomes.
- Continuing to serve as an academic health science centre, attracting the most knowledgeable and skilled medical professionals and researchers from around the world.
This integrated model will help people stay healthy or get well, while providing high-quality critical care when they are very sick.
St. Paul’s Hospital has served the needs of some of our most vulnerable populations for close to 125 years. Over its storied history, the contributions of the hospital’s committed staff, physicians, researchers, volunteers, donors and partners have made it a globally renowned institution.
The new St. Paul’s will continue that tradition of compassionate, socially just care delivered through innovative and transformational solutions for the next 125 years and beyond.